Apollo Fish has acquired a following in Chennai the place a vegetarian model has added to its legacy.
The Etymology of meals dishes has at all times fascinated me. From the Thatte Idli that originated in Tumkur to Hen 65 with its Chennai origins, South India has its share of recent meals tales. Many of those tales may be traced again to tiny eateries and eating places. The etymology of 1 dish has continued to stay a thriller. It’s a dish I’ve loved in eating places in Hyderabad and Chennai. I nonetheless keep in mind visiting the favored Hyderabad culinary hotspot Bawarchi with Zubair Ali of Hyderabad Meals diaries and sampling a delicious model of Apollo fish, a dish that Hyderabad claims as its very personal. This straightforward but scrumptious model of batter fried fish is likely one of the metropolis’s ‘go to’ starters and cocktail snacks.
In Hyderabad, this dish is nearly as commonplace as a biryani, Apollo fish is on quite a few restaurant menus within the metropolis, Paradise – widespread for its Hyderabadi biryani, does an incredible model too. Most eating places use murrel fish for this dish. However ask any native meals knowledgeable like Zubair concerning the Apollo within the dish and so they wrestle to offer a conclusive principle concerning the origins of its identify. It isn’t simply Hyderabad, the dish has acquired a following in Chennai the place a vegetarian model of this dish has added to its legacy.
(Additionally Learn: 10 Of The Finest Chennai Eating places Now Open For Residence Supply)
Prem’s Grama Bhojanam, a Chennai restaurant that’s finest identified for its conventional and wholesome millet-based dishes, is likely one of the first vegetarian eating places to introduce this dish to town. NS Krishnamoorthi, who runs this restaurant, believes that its two steps within the recipe that set this dish aside. He provides ajwain and curd that give this dish its distinct flavour. That is his simple recipe that you would be able to attempt at dwelling.
Apollo Paneer Recipe
Recipe courtesy – Prem’s Grama Bhojanam, Chennai
-Paneer: 250 gm
-Ginger garlic paste: 1-2 teaspoons
-Chopped garlic: a couple of pods
-Curry leaves: a couple of sprigs
-Ginger juliennes: for garnish
-Turmeric: a pinch
-Ajwain: half teaspoon
-Curd: a small cup
-Salt: to style
-Inexperienced chillies (slit) 2-3
-Ginger (finely chopped) small amount
1. Minimize the paneer into squares and marinate in ginger garlic turmeric and salt paste for 15 minutes.
2. Fry the marinated paneer in oil and preserve individually.
3. Warmth a tawa, add oil and slit inexperienced chillies, then add finely chopped ginger and turmeric. Add curry leaves after which add fried paneer Now add the fried paneer.
4. Add a small cup of curd and add the ajwain and the chopped garlic.
5. Enable it to boil and the curd to dry.
6. Sprinkle salt, if wanted.
7. Garnish with ginger juliennes (optionally available).
(Additionally Learn: Most interesting South Indian Eating places In Chennai You Should Strive)
Hyderabad-Type Apollo Fish
Recipe courtesy – Bawarchi, Hyderabad
If you happen to’d want the unique model, you may attempt the quintessential Hyderabad Apollo fish at dwelling.
-Fish (Murrel or boneless fish) filet: 500 gm (lower into strips or small items)
-Oil: for deep frying
-Corn flour: 2 tablespoons
-Plain flour: 1 tablespoon
-Cooking oil: 1 tablespoon
-Curry leaves: 1 sprig
-Ginger (chopped): 1 half tablespoon
-Garlic: 1 half tablespoon
-Inexperienced chillies: 2
-Onions (chopped): 2
-Crimson chili powder: 1 teaspoon
-Ginger garlic paste: 1 teaspoon
-Turmeric: 1/Four teaspoon
-Salt: to style
-Juice of 1 lemon
-1 Egg white
1. Minimize the fish to desired measurement items or to strips and wash and drain.
2. Pour the lemon juice and salt over the fish and put aside for five minutes.
3. Marinate with elements (underneath margination elements) and put aside for 30 minutes.
4. Warmth oil for deep frying.
5. Sprinkle corn and plain flours and blend properly.
6. When the oil is sizzling sufficient, scale back the warmth to medium, deep fry the items till achieved. Put aside on an absorbent tissue.
7. Warmth 1tablespoon oil in one other pan, fry curry leaves until crisp, add ginger garlic & inexperienced chillies and fry until you get aroma.
8. Add chopped onions and fry until frivolously brown.
9. Add the fried fish and sauté on excessive for Three minutes.
10. Serve sizzling.
About Ashwin RajagopalanI’ve found cultures, locations and felt at dwelling in a number of the world’s most distant corners due to the assorted meals I’ve tried which have been ready with ardour. Generally they’re conventional recipes and at most occasions they have been audacious reinterpretations by inventive cooks. I won’t prepare dinner typically however after I do, I think about I am in a cookery present set – matching measuring bowls, et all!